Monday, March 3, 2008

Australian Don't like Soeharto??


The shocking headline news was put in "The Australian", one of prominent newspaper in Melbourne. I am not surprised of the death of my former president, since He has suffered of the illness for the long time, but I'm surprised on how many Australian see Soeharto as the bad guy. As the person who responsible for the human rights abuse in East Timor and Aceh, as the corrupt president and killling many people during his reign in 32 years.
Even though I'm a person who support the law enforcement against Soeharto, but I think it's not appropriate to condemn someone that has just passed away. Maybe I'm too Indonesian style, as the easyness to forgive and forget someone sin, which I did to Soeharto.
Probably in the past Soeharto and Australia has unsatisfactory relation. Although I also know that once Soeharto and Australia had romance relationship (as happen in Paul Keating administration).
Maybe I get mad on the headline, but also I can forgive it. I just think the dislike of Soeharto can be done in modest way, just to honor someone who face the difficulty way in the death.
28 January 2008

No comments: