Thursday, June 5, 2008

"My First Semester"


It is really interesting and challenged to be study overseas. Many young people from Indonesia have dream to take higher education and I am the lucky one. The first semester is probably the hardest one since I have to adjustable my way of life, especially my spoken languange.

In the class, there are some problems that make me diffcult to learn. Although i find some solutions to cope with it.
First, of course the languange. I am the only Indonesian and most of my classmates are Australian. I have to speak correctly therefore they can understand, especially in discussion session.
Second, the way of learning. Here I am thought to be independent student. I have to find out the materials and course sources by myself, the lecturer only provides the guidelines and reading materials. Always ask for clear information and instruction from the lecture and classmate. Additionally, I have to give my opinion and argument which I found it is really different with the teaching system in my country.

Outside the class, I face difficulties on cultural adjustment since. Such as I can not find halal foods and Indonesian food ingredients easily. As a consequence, I have to go to Melbourne to buy and cooking my food by myself (at least I develop my cooking skill while studying here). Next, it is hard to get Australian friends as their style of friendhip and relationship are totally different. Additionally, Bendigo is very quiet and peaceful city. No crowded and traffic jam (wow this is what I like from Bendigo!), less population make this small city comfortable and less vehicles means less pollution. Furthermore, people here so friendly for new comers (like me).

After all I really enjoy to live here. I recommend for everyone to study in Bendigo, especially for those who like living in the small city.

No comments: